Rules of Ultimate governed by the World Flying Disc Federation

History of WFDF Rules

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #1826 by Sly
History of WFDF Rules was created by Sly
Hello all,

this is probably off-topic but is there an Archive of all WFDF-Rules-Editions somewhere?

Here is one for the US-Rules:
alanhoyle.com/ult-rules/

Is there something similar for WFDF-Rules?

I´m curious about how the split between WFDF and the US-Rules happened. Does anyone know some details about the why and when?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #1827 by rueben
Replied by rueben on topic History of WFDF Rules
The 2000 version of the rules is the oldest I have (see attached)

I might upload all the previous versions I have some time, when I gee the chance.

I don't know the history of how/why the rules diverged from USA to WFDF.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by rueben.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #1828 by Sly
Replied by Sly on topic History of WFDF Rules
Thanks for the Info Rueben.

This may be a stupid question but why do we keep developing two different rule sets?

Would it be a crazy idea to fully merge the rules so we have one rule set again (let´s not talk about AUDL-Rules)?

As far as i know most players don´t care that much about the advantages/disadvantages of each rule-set. WFDF has just released a new version of their rules. There is little to no discussion about it. I guarantee if WFDF would have just said: We discontinue our own set of rules and from now on will play with the USAU-Version there wouldn´t be that much of an outcry.

Some people would be unhappy about the introduction of observers but apart of that I don´t see any USAU-Rule where the rest of the world would say: We can´t play with this.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #1829 by rueben
Replied by rueben on topic History of WFDF Rules
WFDF will not be introducing Observers. The WFDF Congress cemented "Self-officiating" as part of the WFDF By-Laws last year to confirm this: wfdf.sport/2019/03/wfdf-approves-of-addi...view-after-congress/

There are other philosophical differences between the WFDF and USAU approach, some of which stems from the use of Observers, or around simplicity, or this key principle: "there are no harsh penalties for inadvertent breaches, but rather a method for resuming play in a manner which simulates what would most likely have occurred had there been no breach"

A more reasonable question could well be - why would a National Federation continue to have a rule set that varied from the rules of the World Federation?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rasmusotkjaer

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds