Starting a stall count

• mosley77
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
6 years 6 months ago #460 by mosley77
Starting a stall count was created by mosley77
In 18.1.1.1.2. it says that it is a infraction if the stall count is not started with the word "stalling".

In 10.5.1. it says to restart play the player may call "Disc in" or "Stalling". So to be correct after calling "Disc in" I would have to start the stall count with "Stalling"?

The two rules are contradictory.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #462 by BenjiH
Replied by BenjiH on topic Starting a stall count
There is no contradiction. There are at least two situations that this rule covers which explain why two different calls can be made to restart play.

First, there may be no thrower, in which case 'Disc in' rather than 'Stalling' would obviously be the correct call.

Second, the defender restarting play may not wish to initiate a stall count but instead run to cover a free player elsewhere; again, they may call 'Disc in' instead.

So the rules do not contradict themselves, even if the word 'stalling' is required after the 'disc in' - clearly it is necessary to be able to call one or the other as required.

Benji Heywood
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by BenjiH.

• mosley77
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
6 years 6 months ago #466 by mosley77
Replied by mosley77 on topic Starting a stall count
Correct. For me it was not totaly clear why you can either say "disc in" or "stalling" but it is correct that the player checking the disc doesn't necessarily have to mark so he has to have the option of just calling "disc in".

So any stallcount has to start with the word "stalling" :)

Agree on that.

More
6 years 6 months ago #469 by BenjiH
Replied by BenjiH on topic Starting a stall count
Yep. Initially I confused myself by wondering whether you only needed 'stalling' at the beginning of the stall count and it wouldn't apply when RE-starting a stall count that had been paused by a call. But actually the rule on restarting stall counts [9.6] does also demand the word 'stalling'. So I think we've covered everything on this one.

Benji

• freshgrow191
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago #514 by freshgrow191
Replied by freshgrow191 on topic Starting a stall count
Thanks for that clear specification! :)

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds