Rules of Ultimate governed by the World Flying Disc Federation

What is "reasonable" to assume for 14.3 of 2017 Annotations

• William
  • Topic Author
More
7 months 4 weeks ago #1800 by William
Annotation 14.3 notes the following:

If a player could reasonably assume that they have scored a goal, and behaves as if
they have scored a goal (for example, by celebrating a goal) this should be treated as
a “goal” call. This “goal” call is a stoppage of play and the result of any additional play
does not stand

My questions relate to the phrase "reasonably assume". During a game today, on a beach without marked lines (cones only), a player caught a long throw somewhat far outside the endzone (I'd estimate 5m but I'm not sure it's that important). The receiver thought they had scored and dropped the disc.

In a later rules discussion, I mentioned 14.3 from the annotations and another player felt that the receiver could not have reasonably assumed they were in the endzone, suggesting that this annotation was intended for occasions such as straddling the goal line, or travelling into the endzone type situations.

My interpretation of this annotation is significantly more generous. I don't believe it is in line with the rest of the rule set to punish players who clearly believed they were in the endzone, as the rules are written to assume everyone is playing with the best intentions. I would favour returning the disc to the thrower in most situations where a receiver either caught a long pass running towards the endzone, or cutting out of the endzone. Additionally, I would be inclined to take into account factors such as, unlined fields, extra lines on the field, or fields that are close together, as I have seen receivers believe they were in the endzone when they were not in all of the cases.

My specific questions are:
- Can someone provide a little clarity to the term "reasonable assumption"?
- Why is "reasonable assumption" needed at all, as the rules are written under the belief that they will not be abused?

There are a couple of discussions relating to this but none quite touch on "reasonably assume" in the case of a non-verbalised goal call:
1. www.reddit.com/r/ultimate/comments/86z9wk/wfdf_rules_question/
2. rules.wfdf.org/discussions/interpretatio...e-to-check-this-rule

Thanks very much!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #1801 by rueben

I would be inclined to take into account factors such as, unlined fields, extra lines on the field, or fields that are close together

I definitely agree with this.

However if someone caught a 5 metre pass straight after the pull, and celebrated a goal, that would be unreasonable.
And there is a whole gradient from there all they way up to straddling the goal line. And each instance will depend on the specific circumstances.
Which is why we don't give a strict description of what reasonable means - we leave it up to people to be reasonable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds